Pages

September 2, 2012

Godspeed

The adoption center was hopping this afternoon, and in the middle of people and animals coming and going, a very nice young woman waited patiently to speak with one of the staff. I made my way around the waiting room, and asked how we could help.

She said that she was supposed to be picking up one of the adoption center dogs, Apollo, but could not. While speaking, she sort of thrust a shopping bag at me. I asked her what had happened, my thoughts jumping around to see if there was some sort of problem we could help with.

"I got the call last night. I am being deployed a week from Tuesday."

We could not help at all. Her brave face crumpled as I opened up the shopping bag, and the brand new collar, leash, and toys sank both of our hearts even further. Her eyes welled with tears, and in a shaking voice asked me to give him his new things. 







I wanted to promise her that it would all be OK. That she would be just fine, and that we would hold her dog for her until she came home. But I couldn't, so instead promised her that Apollo would get his new things, be the one who was safe, and thanked her. Tears still flowing, she left.

As it turns out, a nice family was right behind her, and fell in love with him just like she did. Apollo went home today- with a good family who will keep him safe and provide a wonderful home. 
 




Our hearts go with the young woman who is leaving to serve our country. Apollo was not meant to be her dog, but we know that the right one will be waiting for her when she returns, and we can't wait to see it happen. For now, all we can do is be grateful, hug those we love a little tighter, and wish her the very best.





May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back.  
May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields.  
And until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.  
~Irish Blessing









No comments:

Post a Comment