Pages

March 13, 2012

Sunday Mornings With Mattox

Mattox was brought to us last fall, and upon arrival he was very mistrustful and under socialized. A handful to say the least. 

We housed him in the clinic, and the staff began to work with him. Over time, he came to love the folks who took care of him, and the mistrust turned into ultimate loyalty and admiration. Mattox learned to keep his kennel spotless, enjoys his outside walks immensely, and is about the easiest dog we have in terms of physical care. Low maintenance if you will. Once he gets to know you, it's all good.

Sunday mornings are my time with Mattox. He waits patiently while all the other animals in the clinic are fed, medicated, and walked. After he gets his breakfast, I get him out of his kennel and try to contain his happy wiggles long enough to clip on his leash. And then we walk.

Usually we head away from downtown in search of grass, old buildings, and interesting smells. This is perhaps a less favorable side of town, and it is not unusual to be approached by strangers for money.

When it does, my boy Mattox will take a firm stand between me and the perceived intruder, all the while giving a menacing growl and death stare. As the intruder retreats, Matty will give me a once over to make sure all is well "You good? I got this covered, all is safe and under control. Let's hit the next block."







Mattox has healed enough to move on and is ready for adoption. That ultimate loyalty and admiration goes both ways, and we love him enough to let him go. So, if you are looking for a faithful companion and guardian, Mattox may be your man. One thing we know for sure, there is nothing better than feeling safe, and he'll do his very best to keep you that way.




I don't want expensive gifts; I don't want to be bought. I have everything I want. I just want someone to be there for me, to make me feel safe and secure.
~Princess Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment