Pages

March 1, 2012

Lessons

Dear Foster Dog:

We saw your photo, and learned that you had been stuck in someone's backyard fish pond, unable to get out. Instantly we knew that if no one came forward, you would be an Assisi dog.



They didn't, and now you are officially ours. I took you home, not sure if you would make it through the weekend.

That was 10 days ago, and while a little better, we're still taking it hour by hour. The Angels of Assisi medical team took the tumor off of your leg, but it is still painful, and we don't know if it will ever heal right. 


Throughout your stay, I have tried to find your favorite dog food, and one you will tolerate. So far, it's canned Mighty Dog, eh, not great, but it will have to do. I tried to find you a nice, quiet, safe place in the house. For a while I kept you in the Sun Room, fully equipped with radio, personal heater, and fresh towels in case you you had an accident. I tried to keep you away from the other dogs, and the busyness of our routine.

From the moment you gained enough strength to stand up on your own, you came out of the Sun Room. You went to the front door and let me know you had to go out. You followed me as I fed the other dogs, and waited patiently for your turn. At night, you came into my room, and squeezed onto a bed too small for you, with half your body on the hardwood floor. I tried to point you back in the direction of the Sun Room, with it's cushy carpet, radio, and personal heater, but you continued to opt for the hardwood floor in my room instead.

As you gradually and persistently eased your way into our busy routine, the realization finally struck me; even though I am not the person you shared your life with for the last 12 years, I am your person now. Although I have tried to provide you with gourmet meals and every material thing a dog could ever want, all you really want is me.

So here's the deal: with the support of Dr. Spangler and the Assisi team,  I'll keep you safe, if you promise to enjoy every last minute of however long you have left on this earth. I believe we are off to a good start.

Love always,
Lisa 










But friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life, and thanks to a benevolent arrangement the greater part of life is sunshine.
~Thomas Jefferson 


A special thank you to ACO Rhonda who saved Foster Dog, now named Marley.

Of importance to note also, is that every dog has in him the same desires as Marley; all they really want is you. How lucky we are to be that person.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update on this Senior. As usual the Angels of Assisi have met the challenge and have a grateful Marley on the mend. Lisa, your attention and care of Marley reflects character much too rare now a days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle KefferMarch 03, 2012

    I love you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks GREAT!!! Lisa and the Angels Team are doing a pheonomenal job with Miss Marmalade. She looks sooo content. Thank you so much for taking her in : )

    R Armsworthy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this 'is' my "Marley". So good to see she is still doing ok and doing so well. So thankful that you all took the time and care to help her. She deserved it. You will be rewarded for helping her.

    ReplyDelete