Pages

November 5, 2010

Past Due Appreciation

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.”
Dr. Minor Myers, Jr.

_______________________________________________________________

As a huge fan of quotes, this one caught my eye today- how perfect for all of us in the rescue world; go forth and petition against puppy mills! Spread the word about feral cats! Blog about the statistics of euthanasia in our community! Network on Facebook to save pets from high kill shelters!

As all these thoughts were racing through my mind, the author of the quote caught my eye. Minor Myers was the President of my Alma Mater, Illinois Wesleyan University. Huh.

I spent 4 years at IWU in the nursing program, and quite frankly, none of the faculty particularly inspired me. At all. I don't know what it is about nursing instructors, but they are a tough bunch. My shoes were never white enough and my nursing student patch was sewn on crooked. My 15 page handwritten "Plan Of Care" on how to apply a butterfly bandage (15 pages? Was that really necessary?) was missing a step.

On the first day of clinicals sophomore year, my instructor asked me about the compatibility of a certain IV solution with a certain IV drug. I did not know the answer, and told her I did not know the answer. Isn't that better than a potential fatal reaction? I asked where the drug interaction book was, and she grabbed my ear and pulled me through the crowded nurses’ station to the book. Thanks for that, Ms. Wilson. Thanks a million.

My reason for becoming a nurse was to help people, plain and simple. Forgive me while I digress, but another fond memory is of the Dean of Nursing giving a major speech to all of us low life students about how You Can Never Be Friends With Your Patients. Huh. Really? I still keep in contact with some of my former patients and their families. And we are good friends thankyouverymuch.

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.”

I'm going to keep these words close to me for a while. Maybe when I was busy memorizing every bone (including origin and insertion!) of the body I missed out on some of the philosophical aspects of college life.

For today, I am not going to petition against puppy mills, protect feral cats, blog about kill stats, or network on Facebook. I have done these things and absolutely will again. Probably tomorrow.

But for today, I am going to gather my strength by doing good to those closest to me- the ones most often overlooked. I think I'll start by hugging Shiloh.


No comments:

Post a Comment